It is situated in the Southeast of the Arabian Peninsula, in the Southwest of Asia, or it is better known as the Middle East. United Arab Emirates consists of seven states, known as emirates, namely Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm al-Quwain, Ras al-Khaimah and Fujairah. Abu Dhabi is the country’s capital and center for political and industrial activities.
United Arab Emirates was established in 1971, with a constitutional monarchy and a presidential system of government. The location of the Emirates on the coast of the Arabian Gulf made it possible for easy trade by sea, as far as China, specifically the trade of copper and merchandise.
The pearl industry thrived during the 20th century, providing income and employment to the people of the Gulf. In 1960, with the establishment of the first crude oil company for exportation, the UAE economy began to grow. With the world’s seventh largest oil reserve today, it led the trade with the rest of the world and known as the most developed economy in the span of a few decades.
The UAE is noted for its excellent infrastructure, booming industry and growth within the last two decades. The large multicultural society of the UAE is responsible for the success of this small country to a highly metropolitan one.
Arabic is the official language of the United Arab Emirates, spoken by most of the individuals living in the country, but English seems to be a major language spoken.
Why Study in the UAE?
Higher education in the United Arab Emirates has blossomed over the last few decades. A land that was just filled with sand dunes at one time is now a highly developed country with educational standards reaching those at an international level. UAE is a likable choice for students abroad because of its rich culture, infrastructure, and the warm and welcoming nature of the citizens, making it a safe place to live. Flattery and hospitality is one of the many virtues of the Emirati culture.
United Arab Emirates has a hot and dry climate. Summer extends from May to September, with high temperature and humidity in July and August. The winters are pleasant and cool, accompanied by light winds and occasional raining. Dust storms can be expected any time during the year.
- Light cottons and Linens for all year round
- A light sweater for the winter
- An umbrella for the few rainy days in winter
- Dress a bit conservative when in public
- National Costume is recommended for festivities
Shopping & Dining
- Shops are open every day of the week – 9:00 A.M to 1:30 P.M and 4:00 P.M to 10:00 P.M
- Some shops are open all day from 10:00 A.M to 10:00 P.M
- Shops are closed from 11:30 A.M to 1:30 P.M on Fridays, for the Friday prayer
- Souks are a good place to bargain and get cheap objects
- Restaurants have flexible timings and are usually open late
- An array of cuisine is offered
- Hummus (chickpea paste), tabbouleh, stuffed vine leaves, and lamb meat are some popular cuisines of the United Arab Emirates
Travel & Transportation
- Buses, metro, and water taxi are the easiest travel methods in the metropolitan city and between other cities
- Cars are cheap to hire
- Taxis are cheap and always available